You think you know a lot about pizza? Do you know these fun facts?
- 94% of people eat pizza on a regular basis.
- Americans eat 350 slices per second.
- Over 5 BILLION pizzas are sold around the world every year.
- 36% of people consider pizza a breakfast food.
- In 2012 the biggest pizza was made in Italy and recorded by Guinness Book of World Records at 13,580.28 square feet.
- The farthest delivery was in 2001. The Russian Space Agency delivered a 6 inch pizza to the international Space Station.
- The official science name of the crust is the cornicione.
- Cristian Dumitru from Romania ate over 200 pounds of pizza and has the world record for pizza eating.
- No one knows for sure but it’s believed pizza was invented in Naples, Italy in the early 1500’s.
- The first American Pizzeria was Lombardi’s in New York City. It opened in 1905.
- The world’s fastest pizza maker can make a pizza in 2 minutes and 35 seconds.
- The most expensive pizza ever made was topped with lobster, caviar, cognac, and smoked salmon.
Stay tuned. Our next blog will be a pizza quiz to see what other fun facts you might know.